Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Duty,Honor,Country


It is a dark and quiet night. Everything is enjoying its sweet dream. The sky is dotted with some sparking stars. A crescent moon beams through the clouds. A gentle breeze blows through the weeds. A rapid river flows from west towards east like a last living thing in the world.Suddenly a bunch of signal flares break the silence. Following it, tens of thousands of ground-based artillery fire and countless ferries set out toward the other side of the river. In one of these ferries, a squad of soldiers cling their guns looking forward to landing soon.The invincible army wipes out the enemy like a gale sweeping the fallen leaves. Another new city is liberated and before long another new government is going to be established…This is one of the most impressive stories my grandfather ever told me. It is a story but not a legend or fairy tale. It is a story of my respectable grandfather’s life and he, who was among those heroes, is one of the founding fathers of this nation in my eyes.My grandfather was born in a little mountain village of Shanxi Province in 1926 when our country was on the brink of a dramatic change. His parents were both peasants leading a hard life. He joined the resistance army and struggled against the Japanese invaders under the lead of Chairman Mao. During the Liberation War, He fought in some battles and Crossing Yangtze River Campaign is what he takes pride in most.I wrote this short story in order to show my sincere respect for my grandfather and many other unknown heroes, and to appreciate his enormous influence upon my life.I can hear a voice in my deep heart saying, “Oh, my grandfather! It is you who taught me the true meaning of duty, honor, and country. I am proud to be a grandson of you and this nation.Thank you!Long live our motherland!Long live all the heroes!

No comments:

Post a Comment